You Do You

You Do You

 

There are things I do, plenty of things, that drive me nuts. I have to believe they drive other people nuts

as well… we’re all on the same page here! My sensitivity bites me in the ass quite often. My circadian

rhythm promptly wakes me up around 7 on the weekends and in turn, keeps me up much past my

anticipated bedtime. I’m a sucker for an overpriced wellness-related beverage (and alcoholic if

we’re being honest). And I move a tad on the fast side, leaving a somewhat chaotic, somewhat trail to

follow. While the list goes on, that’s all the dirty laundry I’m airing today folks.


BUT, on the flipside, I do have internalized habits that I’m pretty content with, maybe even proud of. Every morning, rain or shine, (or hail, wind, below freezing temperatures…) I take a walk. It’s not long. In fact it’s pretty short. But every morning, I go through the (autopilot) motions of getting ready for the work day, bundle up to appease Mother Nature and walk around the block. Even if I’m moving too quickly and wrecking havoc prior to hitting the concrete jungle, my walk mixed with the fresh air is my real start “button”. Whether I’ve woken up exhausted, anxious, or motivated, I don’t feel quite ready for the day until I complete a block around my neighborhood. My walk allows my body to wake up, allows me to prioritize myself, and experience the world (aka Wrightwood, Deming and Clark, IL) before checking emails, participating in meetings, yada yada. It’s something I do for me. It’s something I can count on every single morning. And I’m really proud of my dedication to that. 

Morning walks might not work for everyone. Enjoying a cup of coffee in peace and quiet. Listening to a song while getting ready. Waking up, stretching, touching your toes. Options are endless. Prioritizing yourself can look as different as an all you can eat American buffet (picturing The Golden Corral?) But find something! Habituate it! Feel proud of it! Because feeling proud feels really fucking good. 

So tell me about it…what is something you want to practice?

Comments

Popular Posts