You, Again

You, Again

I once heard this quote, (and by once I mean a few weeks ago when I was listening to BJ Novak on Armchair Expert) “nostalgia is just memories without the anxiety”. I honestly shouldn’t quote it directly because it’s for sure butchered, but the gist is there and gotta give credit where credit is due. 

Nostalgia is just memories without anxiety. As someone with a fair share of anxiety, that quote really speaks to me, in a really positive way. I often instigate conversations about past adventures and laughs. In (some of) my downtime, I gravitate to my camera roll. There’s an oldies playlist I routinely have on shuffle. Kinda ties into the comforts foods soapbox I was on a few weeks ago. But all in all, I’m somewhat a magnet to memories. And maybe everyone is. Maybe a lot of people can relate to this sentiment and it’s another one of those topics that no one talks about but everyone experiences.

Basically, I love anything that prompts nostalgia. I spend a sweet chunk of time on some days thinking about my endless supply of memories. And you know why? Because whatever armor of anxiety I was wearing that day vanishes right into thin air.  Being happy is a really, really awesome thing. So in moments when my current anxiety is slamming on the door, why not take a few breathes and flirt with the past.  Materialize something that serves me happiness with a side of laughter. Because right along with happiness, laughing fucking rocks. 


When things feel a tad heavier than I would like, I have tools! And rejoicing in nostalgia is one of them. 


So tell me about it…what welcomes your happiness?


Comments

Popular Posts