Stay Awhile

Stay Awhile

Couches are expensive. A necessary splurge. Plenty of time and energy (should) be devoted to finding the focal point of your living room. In the world of couches, fashion and comfort need an unbreakable, friends first, willing to compromise marriage.  No one's running towards an eyesore sectional nor does anyone want to sit back and relax on bricks for cushions. So finding that deep (but not too deep) statement-piece (that isn’t hard to compete with) couch isn’t a walk in the park. 


But when you do find it, which you will, the initial satisfaction and excitement never quite dissipates. Nope. Actually, I’m going to argue that it grows. After dealing with the necessary evil of purchasing (chaaaa-chang), delivering and moving of your chosen-one, you get to melt right into your prized possession! The content-ness sets in real nicely. And it continues to after each and every interaction. Immediately, your couch becomes reliable, sharing in most of life’s big and small moments. From discovering and binging your favorite show, catching up with friends, collapsing after an exhausting 24 hours, to a revolving door of people and relationships, witnessing tears, laughs and stories, booze, music, sweet and savory bites, and even moves - your couch is there. Although likely altered throughout the years, colored with spills, distorted by butts and painted with memories, it’s still there. It's still your couch. 


My couch is undoubtedly my favorite fixture in my apartment. Not only is it one of the first things you see, but it’s likely the first place you go (unless you really have to go to the bathroom). A sprawling L-shaped ivory (not my smartest color choice) couch just begging for you to make yourself at home and more importantly, comfy. So comfy that I’ve spent many a nights slumbering on, what becomes transformed into, my California King size bed (still talking about my couch if you didn't catch that).


Though I can barely count the number of sleepovers we’ve shared, I definitely can’t count the number of conversations that to this day bring an ear to ear smile on my face. My couch (any couch) is special. My couch is the heart of my home. People, popcorn and honestly some pain. But all in all, I know that the minute I fall back in the worn in, coffee-stained, incomparable piece of furniture, I know that even for the briefest of seconds, all is well. 


Home is wherever I’m with my couch.

(I’m kiiiiiidding, chill) 


So tell me about it…what’s your home's backbone?


Comments

Popular Posts